Here at Wallenstam, environmental and social responsibility is about developing and working from the standpoint of responsible environmental, social and business-related aspects. Our sustainability work is based on a group-wide strategy that guides us in our day-to-day work.
We support UN Global Compact
Wallenstam has signed the UN Global Compact, which means that we support and work on the basis of ten principles relating to human rights, labor, a precautionary approach, anti-corruption, and taking responsibility in relation to environmental issues.
Please read our Communication on Progress 2019
As a part of our sustainability work we have decided on four climate targets as follows:
- Wallenstam shall reduce CO2 emissions from its building operations by 10 percent per square meter.
- Wallenstam shall reduce CO2 emissions from the properties’ energy consumption by 15 percent per heated square meter.
- Wallenstam shall reduce the properties’ residual waste by 10 percent per square meter.
- Wallenstam’s business trips shall be carried out using electric car, train or via completely carbon-neutral and biofuel-based air travel.
The goals within the UN’s Agenda 2030 that Wallenstam has already chosen to focus on are gender equality, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, sustainable cities and communities and climate action.
Wallenstam strives for sustainability for individuals and companies. We work proactively with action plans to reduce our environmental impact. We invest in reducing our energy consumption and we are self-sufficient in green electricity produced in-house.
Five governing goals
In our sustainability work, we have chosen to prioritize five global goals in the UN’s Agenda 2030. The goals and areas that we are focusing on in our sustainability work are gender equality, affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, sustainable cities and communities and climate action.
For us, gender equality and diversity are important principles both in recruitments and in our internal work. The collaborative environment in the company is characterized by a positive view of people and mutual respect for the employees. Gender equality for us means, among other things, that:
- We strive for as uniform a gender distribution as possible in different types of services.
- We create the same opportunities regardless of gender in connection with career development, setting of salaries and flexible solutions in order to combine parenthood and work.
- All employees have the right to be treated with respect and with consideration for each person’s legitimate demands for privacy, regardless of gender or other differences.
Affordable and clean energy
We have been self-sufficient in renewable energy through our own production since 2013. In addition, we are investing further in renewable solutions when we are developing our properties. Some concrete examples are that we:
- Cooperate with our customers and partners to implement initiatives, activities and working methods that reduce our environmental impact such as:
- Reducing energy use in our properties
- Reducing district heating, removing fossil fuels and increasing the proportion of renewable energy in the Group/in our properties
- Installing solar power/battery storage solutions in several properties
- Investing in research about solar power and energy storage in order to increase understanding about how we can build in storage solutions during the planning and design of new properties. We are also looking at solar power solutions for hot water with pertaining accumulator tanks.
- The development is continuing of advanced measurement technology in the operation of our properties in order to follow up and work with improvements.
Decent work and economic growth
We have a flexible and risk-minimized business model, which means that our customers, employees and owners can feel confidence in the company. We are working actively for decent working conditions and we ensure long-term economic growth in the following ways:
- We have a business, which is focused on areas with growth and strong demand. This provides scope to reinvest in the business, create secure jobs and value for customers and owners.
- As a company, we strive for stability through an efficient organization and yield requirements before start of construction and we work to create positive working conditions. The workplace should be characterized by job satisfaction, sensitivity, enthusiasm, willingness to cooperate, respect and an open and permissive atmosphere.
- During procurement of contractors and purchasing of services, the responsibilities of our partners in relation to business ethics, the environment, working conditions, safety etc. are laid down in agreements.
Sustainable cities and communities
Wallenstam wants to contribute to a good standard of living for many people by producing housing, primarily rental apartments, and developing safe, secure and lively city districts. Some concrete examples are:
- We contribute to research, participate in development projects and follow advancements in knowledge about what creates security in urban development, new production and management of residential areas. We also have an Innovation Council that listens to what customers are demanding and focuses on business development for the operations.
- We have an overriding ambition to build according to Miljöbyggnad (Sweden Environmental Building) Silver rating, which focuses on energy, the internal environment and material choice. We are also focusing on achieving lower energy usage during reconstructions.
- We offer our tenants practical and environmentally-friendly transport solutions. We are looking at various mobility solutions, provide charging possibilities for electric vehicles, access to carpooling via Wallenstam Go and initiatives to promote cycling etc.
We have more than 220 social contracts with municipalities and public authorities, where we make housing available for people who find it difficult to obtain a regular contract. We also support youth activities in the local communities where we operate in order to fight social exclusion and create city districts where everyone can feel included. Work with identifying the environmental impact and social demands that surround our operation is constantly in progress. We have been approved for all Robur Ethica funds since 2006, clearly showing that the environmental and sustainability work we do provides results.
To present an even clearer picture to the market, we have chosen to report our sustainability work according the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). GRI is a global framework for content, consistent language and metrics that contribute to clear, open communication in sustainability issues.
As part of our climate action efforts, we are working to reduce our environmental impacts every year, through initiatives within the focus areas energy, transports and resources.
- In the focus area energy, this means that we are self-sufficient in renewable energy through our own production.
- In the resources area, we are working consciously with waste management, recycling and building materials. The work has begun and we are gradually developing action plans, activities and routines.
- In the transports area, we are working to achieve a reduced carbon footprint through:
- 100 % fossil-free vehicles
- Cooperation with contractors, suppliers within construction and management in order to improve transports
- Offering charging stations (bicycle/car) in our new productions and existing properties as well as mobility solutions through Wallenstam Go to all tenants.
In our business, we utilize the services of about 6,000 suppliers, including our Wallenstam Partners that perform property upkeep and maintenance, and building contractors that are involved in our new construction operations.
Our Code of Conduct emphasizes the policies and guidelines that govern the Wallenstam Group in relation to employees, customers, suppliers and partners. The goal is to have an environmental, social and commercial commitment in everything we do, which is based on compliance with laws and regulations as well as application of responsible business methods − characterized by high ethical standards and good business practice.
Code of conduct
Our Code of Conduct is based on and summarizes the policies and guidelines that govern the business. It is revised and adopted by the Board annually, and sets out the framework for conducting our work in a responsible way.