Criteria for renting an apartment
As an applicant, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must have a total annual income (before tax) of at least three times the annual rent. If you are an old-age pensioner, your annual income needs to be at least twice the annual rent. If you lack up to a maximum of 10% of the income requirement for the apartment, you can supplement your application with a guarantor. See example below.
- We approve students with full CSN as income, but then a guarantor is also needed. The guarantor must have an annual income that corresponds to 4 times the annual rent. It is possible to have two guarantors. This only applies to apartments with 1-2 rooms and a kitchen (maximum 60 sqm applies in Stockholm / Uppsala).
- You must have a fixed income; we approve the following forms of employment:
- permanent employment
- probationary employment
- project employment
- long-term temporary employment
If you have a fixed-term employment, subscribe to an unemployment benefit
scheme or have study grants, the income must be secured for at least 6
months ahead and supplemented with a guarantor.
- Your income needs to be secured for at least 6 months after the date of entry and must be substantiated together with an employment certificate stating your form of employment. Students send a copy of the admission decision. You also need to supplement your application with the last three salary specifications or a specification on the payment of income at CSN, pension or similar.
- If you are to combine your income with your partner's (marriage/partner relationship), you must have been registered at the same address or have been co-applicants in our housing queue for at least 6 months.
- We always do a credit report and records of non-payment are not approved.
- You may not own a home at the same time as you have a rental agreement with Wallenstam. Therefore, we request a copy of a brokerage assignment for the sale of your house or apartment before you sign a rental agreement with us. If you live in a tenancy, you need to show the terminated lease.
- We require good housing references.
- Wallenstam may require a family certificate, be prepared if you accept the apartment. Family certificates are ordered from the Swedish Tax Agency.
This is important to know:
- We always reserve the right to choose a tenant.
- There must be a valid home insurance throughout the rental period.
- We apply rules against overcrowding to prevent unhealthy living conditions. The number of people who will live in the apartment must be reasonable in relation to the apartment's layout and size.
How do I calculate if I have enough income?
If you are looking for an apartment with a monthly rent of SEK 10,000, you need to have at least SEK 30,000 in monthly salary. If you are an old-age pensioner, your income needs to be at least twice the rent.
If you have a monthly salary between 27,000 - 30,000, you can apply for the apartment with the help of a guarantor.
What are good housing references?
Good housing references mean that the rent has been paid on time and there is no record of repeated disturbances.